The Home Shopping Process
As your REALTOR®, my most important job is to make the home shopping process pleasant and rewarding for you.
I do that in a number of ways.
I regularly recommend properties for viewing that closely match your needs and wants, and are within your price range. That spares you the frustration of visiting homes that aren’t suitable.
I make sure you don’t miss opportunities. When a desirable property suddenly comes on the market, you’re alerted.
I help you schedule viewings that fit your schedule, so there’s little if any inconvenience for you.
Before you view a property, I provide you with in-depth details on the home, so you can make an informed decision. This includes closing dates, market value, and more. Later, if you have questions, I get the answers for you.
I also give you the scoop on the neighbourhood, so you get a clear sense of what an area is like in terms of lifestyle, safety, schools, etc.
When you find a property you like, I give you my honest, professional recommendation as to how well the home meets your needs and wants. You won’t have to make such an important decision without my expert advice.
As your REALTOR®, I’m committed to getting you into the right home, and I’m with you every step of the way.
What to Look for when Viewing a Property
Here are a few questions and ideas to consider when viewing homes to help make the process easier and more productive:
- Does the home have your “needs” features (those features you must have)? (For example, number of bedrooms, closet space, kitchen size, etc.)
- Does the home have any of your “wants” features (those features you’d like to have but would be willing to forgo)? (For example, large backyard deck, spacious family room, etc.)
- What is the general condition of the home? (Are there signs that the owners have kept up with repairs and maintenance?)
- Will the home need any major repairs, remodelling or renovations? Is there anything, such as the furnace, that may need to be replaced soon?
- What do you like most about the home?
- Is there anything about the home you don’t like? Can that be changed with a remodelling or renovation now or in the future?
- Take a walk around the neighbourhood. Are the homes well-kept, indicating pride of ownership?
- Do you like where the home is situated in the neighbourhood?
- Does the neighbourhood have what you want? (For example, access to public transit, shopping, local parks, etc.)
Viewing properties should never be a frustrating ordeal. It’s my job to help make the process easy and productive for you, so you can find the home you want.
MAKING AN OFFER
PREPARING THE OFFER
When you view a home on the market that you really want, you can hardly wait to be handed the keys. The first step is preparing the Offer. This is the document I present to the seller that basically states the price you’re offering, as well as any conditions.
The price we go in with is critical. You want it to reflect the true market value of the property so the seller will take your offer seriously. On the other hand, you don’t want to go in too high and risk overpaying for the home.
I will review all of the variables with you, and we will make an offer that you are comfortable with. I always have your best interests in mind.
HOW THE PROCESS WORKS
When you decide to make an offer on a home, here’s what typically happens:
- I’ll recommend a price that has the best chance of being accepted by the seller, without over-paying for the home.
- I’ll prepare the necessary documents and present your offer; in person or via email.
- If the offer isn’t accepted, or if the seller makes a counter-offer, I’ll work with the seller’s agent, skillfully negotiating on your behalf to make a deal.
- I’ll communicate with you throughout the entire process. You’re never in the dark when you work with me.
- Once the seller agrees to a deal, I’ll help lead you through the removal of any conditions and closing the deal. Then, the home is yours. Congratulations!
I realize that making an offer can seem like the nail-biting part of the process. It doesn’t have to be. That’s the advantage of selecting a REALTOR® who, like me, puts clients first.
CLOSING THE SALE
ENSURING THE CLOSING GOES SMOOTHLY
There are few things I enjoy more than saying to a client, “Congrats – you’ve got the home!” That means that the seller has accepted your offer, conditions have been waived, the closing date has been set, and you’ll soon be preparing for moving day!
Just because the purchase has been made doesn’t mean my work for you stops. On the contrary. There are a myriad of other things I’ll do to ensure the process goes smoothly.
For example, I’ll take care of many of the administrative details on your behalf. I’ll work with the seller’s agent, your lawyer, and your mortgage lender to ensure that all the necessary paperwork has been completed and submitted.
Don’t worry about finding a good real estate lawyer, insurance agent, moving company, etc. I’m well-connected in the local real estate scene and can personally recommend reputable professionals and companies to help you.
If at any time leading up to moving day you have a question, problem or concern, I’ll be there to help. You can count on me to be your real estate agent before, during and after you cross the threshold into your beautiful new home.
If you have questions about the home buying process, please feel free to call or email or submit the form below.